Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The amazingly positive power of family dinner

Yeh, so I'm admittedly kind of a luddite when it comes to this tech blogging linkback mystery of computer-savviness, I'm working on it slowly but its a major obstacle given how far behind the curve I am.

I'm going to try to re-post a link to one of my favorite sites which covers every nuance of wonderful that I occupy my time thinking about. If you have any recommendations or aid to help me be better at making this page more inviting or graphically impressive, I eagerly await your feedback.

The Art of Manliness - The amazingly positive power of family dinner

This kitchen layout is perfect for dinner parties!
I'm a single woman, and very happily so, but even so I consider my close friends to be part of my protective community circle, and make a point to have group dinners as often as I can. In fact, I have designed the kitchen layouts in my home renovations to specifically accommodate dinner parties! There is nothing in this world that enhances bonding like food. And since this blog originated with a focus on food, this post seemed relevant! As Brett and Kate, its authors, note, even the extremely busy President of the United States makes time for his family dinner his priority (damn communist!), so you can to.



Even if you don't have a family, or if your family consists of you and your only child, or your "significant other", or your dog, you do have friends, neighbors, and allies that, I think, would do well by reducing their own sense of urban isolation... anyone in your trust circle can be incorporated into your extended family by inviting them to dinners regularly. Maybe not every single night, but you get my drift. This will only help cement your interdependence after the zombie apocalypse. How many of us know our neighbors well enough to invite them to dinner? Shouldn't we know our neighbors? They help protect the perimeter of our neighborhood. Case in point.

I believe this aspect of social bonding is one of the most lacking in our anonymous urban lives, and it shows up in so many ways, many of them detrimental to our overall well-being. I will be posting more on this topic in future, but for now, I must return to my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment