Saturday, November 27, 2010

A new take on Shepherds Pie

OK so my grandpa went into the hospital for an operation, and while he was in there I figured I'd cook up some pre-made dinners for my mom and grandma so they didn't have to worry about cooking during that stressful time. Here is a recap of my first-ever attempt at Shepherds Pie.

I was never really a fan of it growing up, but my mom loved it, so whats a rebellious kid like me to do other than change the recipe. They seemed to like it, in spite of my unconventional approach.

Cooking instructions:
I started by frying up 1 lb of good extra lean ground beef. When it was almost cooked through, i added 1 small yellow (red would be OK too) onion, cut into small dice about 1/4", and 3 big cloves of garlic minced coarsely. At the end, I mixed in 1 tbsp of chili powder.

While that was cooking, I boiled up about 8 red potatoes, with the skins left on, cut in half to cook a bit faster. When they were soft all through, I mashed them up (after draining the water of course, silly) with about 1/2 a cup of sour cream, a tablespoon of butter, and three triangles of that Laughing Cow cheese that comes in the foil wrap, garlic-herb flavour. I added in about 2 tbsp worth of minced up fresh rosemary and some salt and fresh ground pepper.
When that was finished, i put the beef mix into a baking pan, dumped on top a couple of cans of  mixed vegetables (more on this later), and then spooned the potato mix evenly on top of it all, and put it in the oven to bake. It took about 1/2 an hour to get browned up a bit on the top, with the oven set to 375.

Results:
If I had it to do again I would, change two things - use different vegetables, and add more cheese. I wanted the potatoes to be cheesy, and they were, but not enough. I'd probably go with four triangles next time.
The canned veggies werent bad, but the beans came out overcooked, so next time I might just go with canned carrots or corn, or maybe just use fresh carrots instead.

Anyway, at the end of the day its a good meal to have in the fridge for lunches to take to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment